"The sea is big and old." - Ernest Hemingway
Too simple for your taste? Perhaps he should have gone with "the sea is boundless and ancient," or "the expansive sea churns eternally." Hemingway would just as soon tuck a daisy behind the ear of a bull. Instead Hemingway gives us "big" and "old,”—words simple and true. We wanted to honor his unadorned, straight-shooting writing style and we kept coming back to this line, as there is so much to unpack in those six words.
For our illustration, we took our cue from Hemingway's words and his personification of the sea.
• Pocket sized: 3.5 x 5 inches
• Proudly made in Portland Oregon
• Offset printed with vegetable-based inks
• Cover: 18pt recycled chipboard made from recycled content & books
• Inside: 32 college ruled pages, uncoated 70# paper milled in America
• 85% post-consumer recycled content and 15% pre-consumer recycled content.
• Saddle stitched with matching staples
• All presses and production machinery powered with renewable energy