Mary Shelley Notebook
"Invention does not consist in creating out of a void, but out of chaos." - Mary Shelley
From the introduction to her novel Frankenstein. We responded to Shelley's astute observation that making sense of the world whether it is personal or aesthetic doesn’t emerge from nothing, but from chaos. Chaos and its associated turbulent energy is the necessary space from which beauty, order and sense-making emerge.
In our illustration, we used the pen as a tool to harness and make sense of that energy.• Pocket sized: 3.5 x 5 inches
• Proudly made in Portland Oregon
• Offset printed with vegetable-based inks
• Cover: 18pt recycled chipboard made from recycled content & books
• Inside: 32 college ruled pages, uncoated 70# paper milled in America
• 85% post-consumer recycled content and 15% pre-consumer recycled content.
• Saddle stitched with matching staples
• All presses and production machinery powered with renewable energy