Sun Tzu Notebook
"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." - Sun Tzu
From The Art of War, the Chinese military treatise dating back to the 5th century BC.
Sun Tzu was the original game theorist, and the advice in “The Art of War" contains ancient practical wisdom with application well beyond military strategy. He underscored the importance of "knowledge is power" and "picking your battles," as well as the role of hubris, planning and timing. This "winners mindset" quotation is a favorite of ours with universal appeal.
We responded to the quotation's simple contrast, and honed in on the question it raises: How do you identify opportunity in the midst of chaos? Aim for it and go for it. In the illustration, we depict an archer aiming his or her bow, the curve of which defines the border between calm and chaos.
• Pocket sized: 3.5 x 5 inches
• Proudly made in Portland Oregon
• Offset printed with vegetable-based inks
• Cover: 18pt recycled chipboard made from recycled content & books
• Inside: 32 college ruled pages, uncoated 70# paper milled in America
• 85% post-consumer recycled content and 15% pre-consumer recycled content.
• Saddle stitched with matching staples
• All presses and production machinery powered with renewable energy